Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Animal Pillows


I wanted to do the nursery in grey and yellow since I found out I was pregnant. It's been hard to find exactly what I want in those colors though...do making things seems to be my best option.

I had two Ikea pillows that have traveled with us since my college days. The covers were gross but the pillows were in great shape so they have been transformed with new covers. I used this easy tutorial to make an envelope pillow cover - there are many out there if you don't particularly like this one. Instead of using just one piece of fabric I used a different fabric on the back.

I appliquéd animals to the front echoing the pattern on the back - the back is the animal print from Kate Spain's Central Park that I used for the car seat cover. I drew the animals out on a piece of paper and traced it backwards on to interfacing which I ironed on to the fabric and cut it out. (Again many tutorials on applique are available) I used a simple envelope closure on the back of the pillow since they will mostly be decorative and don't need a zipper.

I'm always impressed by how challenging appliqué looks and yet how simple it really is. I don't want to go overboard with the animal theme but it does help bring a childish theme to the room.

And just because I can here is one more photo of the little grey elephant!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment