Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fireplace Update

Fireplace after. 
The fireplace has been on my list of updates since we moved in. It took me a few months to put my finger on what I didn't like. First, I looked for a new grate - but couldn't find one. Then when I found one I realized I could probably replace the whole fireplace for what they wanted to charge me for just a grate. Back to the drawing board!

 I considered trying to frame out the mantle. Again, more expensive then what it is worth.

 Then it hit me, I didn't like the gold. Cue heat resistant paint for grills. (I used Rust Oleum.)  I pulled off the cover.  My unwilling assistant, my husband, removed the gold flaps and I spray painted them black. (My husband may have done a few coats of the spraying when it got too cold in the garage.) I let it dry overnight before my husband reassembled it. What a difference a few coats of paint make!

Fireplace before. 


2 comments:

  1. So glad I stumbled onto your blog. Looks like you guys are enjoying your new place. Motherhood looks beautiful on you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy! We are loving the Springs - what a difference a location can make on lifestyle and family life. as for the little one - he is awesome.

      Delete